Talking about your worldview
A worldview introduction: The way you view the world affects everything in your life including your career. A worldview is, for lack of a better word, a system that you use to explain your life. Everybody has one.
The word “view” does not imply that all worldviews are necessarily equal or just a matter of personal preference. Why would you accept any worldview if you really thought that you could just as easily accept another?
Many people in the West are committed to a post-modern or “whatever” worldview. I am committed to a Christian-based worldview because I think that it accurately explains the world around me and the world within me. Which worldview do you think is true?
Here are a few questions to help you clarify your worldview:
1. How does a career or a job fit in your worldview? If a child asked you the big “why” question about your career, what would you say?
2. Do you think there is a God? Why or why not? How does your answer impact your life direction? What difference does it make in your career?
3. Do you believe that the universe made itself, or that somebody made the universe? Why? What difference does this make in your life?
4. On a scale of 1 to 10, how important is human life? What does it mean to be human? To what extent do you value your own life?
5. How do you go about determining if something is true? Which authorities, if any, do you trust? Do you trust yourself as the ultimate authority? Why?
6. What do you think happens when you die? Is death the end of everything? Is death the beginning of something new? How does your view of death shape your life?
7. How do you decide if something is morally good or not? Do you think that there is such a thing as a true morality? Do you think that it really matters what you think?
8. Do you think that you can trust the over-all reliability of a healthy human mind? Why or why not? Is “reality” out there, or is it just in our heads?
9. How does beauty fit in your worldview? Does it fit? Why do children play? What is the place of play in your worldview?
10. What is the point of life? Is there a point? Can you make up your own meaning? What do you feel or think?
© Career & Life Direction 2013. All rights reserved.